Saturday, October 18, 2008

Back in Hotchkiss

I don't know if there's actually a word that can describe everything that it's been being back in Hotchkiss. I haven't been here for this much time since the summer after my freshman year in college! So, as you can imagine, it has been a huge adjustment! But, I will fill in the blanks if you are asking the question: "why are you there?"

After a year and a half away from volleyball, I was getting a little, how do you say...blah, I guess. I missed the competition, I truly missed the sport. So, first, I actually started training for the half marathon that I ran in June because I needed a challenge and I wanted it to be something I ever had done before (like I said, blog soon to come). Then, I called my aunt who was the principal at the high school where I am coaching and asked her if she needed a volleyball coach. To my surprise she actually said YES and that she would call me right back. A couple days later, I was offered the assistant position at Delta. Proof that it's not what you know, but who you know!

So in August, I packed my car and headed back to Hotchkiss from Montana. We started practice and I became Coach Lacey! I love my team, my girls. They are so funny and their questions are hilarious. They truly are "high school girls" and I can't help but laugh at them sometimes! It has been a huge learning experience for me also. I haven't had to test my patience like I do when I'm around them. It has brought me to a new sense of being and just letting things be. I have a whole new appreciation for a lot of things in my life.

To being back in my parents' house...it probably has been just as big of an adjustment for them as it has been for me! They've been great though and I love not paying rent! LOL! I was able to camp with my whole family, something I haven't been able to do since before high school due to athletic involvement. Last month we, mom and I, packed up dinner, climbed "H" hill and waited to watch the full moon rise up over Lamborn and Lands' End. It's been great to be able to do things with my mom and dad that I haven't been able to for a long time or ever. Still, I don't think December (when I fly out and join back up with Austin) can come quick enough, but I am so lucky to have the loving parents that I do and I am living in the moment and truly being in the now!

No comments: